500-Hour Yoga Certification Program Emphasizing Yoga Therapy
Become a member of the Living Room Yoga community (on the right hand side of the page) to receive our e-newsletter and stay informed about this upcoming training.
Life Balance Yoga Therapy 300-Hour Yoga Training Description
Adding 300 hours to your 200-hour certification certifies you as a 500-hour teacher. This alignment-based yoga teacher certification program emphasizes yoga therapy, its application to a variety of commonly diagnosed conditions, and its positive effects on the physiological systems of the body. The 200-hour program introduced “Yoga and the Chakras”, “Yoga and Ayurveda” and the principles of teaching private yoga. The additional 300 hours will expand on these skills and give you additional tools for using yoga to reduce the effects of stress on respiration, digestion, elimination, muscles, bones, hormones and immunity. These additional skills will include tools for assessment, Yoga for the Meridians, guidance on living a yogic lifestyle, knowledge of the effects of stress on the body systems, and application of anatomy and physiology. This course will also further your skills in providing modifications and corrections for students both individually and within the class setting.
Credentials Upon Completing this Course
The International Association of Yoga Therapists (IATY) has developed new standards for yoga therapists effective January 2012. These standards require 1000 hours of training to call oneself a yoga therapist. That means that completion of Life Balance Yoga Therapy 500-hour training will enable you to call yourself a 500-hour level teacher with an emphasis in yoga therapy but not a yoga therapist.
As a graduate of the the LRY Life Balance Yoga Therapy 500-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program, you will gain the skills and qualifications to
- Recognize the power you have to create an experience that allows people to change their lives.
- Teach safe and balanced hatha yoga classes from various perspectives, including the chakras, muscle balancing, meridian balancing, Ayurveda, and the koshas.
- Modify yoga poses for injury and illness.
- Apply yoga therapy techniques to a variety of common conditions, both in a class setting and to individuals.
- Apply creativity to your teaching and practice.
- Develop a successful yoga business based on your own unique vision and mission.
- Register with Yoga Alliance as a 500-hour teacher once you have documented 100 hours of teaching experience..
Who should take this training?
Yoga teachers with a 200-hour certification who wish to deepen their knowledge and skills in yoga therapy. Ideal for occupational therapists, physical therapists, psychotherapists, massage therapists or other holistic practitioners who use yoga therapy in their practices
Must have a 200-Hour Level Certification to Apply
Topics to be Covered
- Yoga as a Model of Stress/Health Management
- Eating to Counteract Environmental Toxins
- Eating to Balance the Doshas (Ayurveda)
How to Teach
- Assessing Structure and Breath
- Assessing Meridian Imbalance
- Teaching to Individuals Within the Class Setting
- One-On-One Yoga Therapy
- Developing Intuition
Anatomy and Physiology
- Musculoskeletal System
- Respiratory System
- Endocrine System
- Immune System
- Reproductive System
- Digestive System
- Elimination System
- Circulatory System
- The Chinese Meridians
- Herniated Disk
- Spinal Stenosis
- Neck and Shoulder Injury
- Hip/Knee Replacement
- Circulatory Disorders
- Asthma and Breathing Disorders
- Meridian Imbalances
You will teach at least 10 hours in the course of the program and receive feedback from your teachers and peers.
A $500 nonrefundable deposit is due by December 1.
Tuition is $2999 if you pay in full by January 1.
If you opt for a payment plan the price is $3199. The tuition does not include the textbooks listed below.
PAYMENT PLAN INFORMATION
If you choose the payment plan, $500 is due by December 1 with fourteen (14) payments of $192.79 due each month from January 2013 through February 2014. Set up your monthly payment for a day of the month that is convenient for you! You will be required to allow us to automatically bill your credit card each month the agreed upon amount. If you should need a more extended payment plan, please let me know when you apply.
Required Books and Reading
- Yoga Teachers Toolbox by Joseph and Lilian LePage
- Mudras by Joseph and Lilian LePage
- The Breathing Book by Donna Farhi
- Light on Life by BKS Iyengar
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
- The Organ Meridans Flash Cards (Order Item F102 by clicking here)
- Awakening Intuition by Mona Lisa Schulz
- My Stroke of Insight : A Brain Scientist’s Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor, Phd
- “Over the Edge: Biological Stress and Chronic Conditions” (article)
Plus these books from the 200-Hour Training
- The Hidden Secrets of Ayurveda by Robert E. Svoboda
- Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship by Donna Farhi
- Your Body Speaks Your Mind by Shapiro
- Eastern Body Western Mind by Anodea Judith
- Power Mudras: Yoga Hand Postures for Women by Sabrina Mesko
- The Road to Ithaca by Barbara Newborn
- Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health by BKS Iyengar
- Stacy Renz, E-500 RYT
- Denise O’Dunn, E-500 RYT
- Sally Watson, 500 RYT
- Linn Sennott, 500 RYT
- Dani Skrzypek, Doctor of Oriental Medicine
- Robert Bock, Doctor of Chiropractics and Kinesiology
If you have physical limitations…
If you have physical limitations that may limit your participation in aspects of the program, please call and discuss your concerns with the Director of Teacher training, Stacy Renz (727) 826-4754). Our goal is to include all who wish to learn if feasible – and your limitation may be an excellent opportunity to teach fellow students how to work with special conditions.
Once you have committed to the program, you will be responsible for the entire tuition amount unless we are able to fill the program with 12 students by the start date. If we are able to fill the program, you will receive a full refund minus $600. If WE cancel the program, you will receive a 100% refund
2013 Training Dates
In 2013: Jan 11, 12,13, Feb 9,10, Mar 9,10, Apr 13,14, May 18,19, Jun 8,9, Jul 13,14, Aug 10,11, Sept 14, 15, Oct 12,13, Nov 9,10, Dec 14,15 In 2014: Jan 11,12, Feb 8,9 (GRADUATION).
Criteria for Completion
In order to receive your Life Balance Yoga Therapy 500-Hour Certification, you must meet these requirements:
- Attend each session offered ON TIME.
- Turn in written assignments ON TIME.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead a class in a safe, manner, incorporating the concepts you have learned.
- IF you must miss a session, take responsibility for making up the class with the appropriate teacher.
- Document 100 hours of teaching experience outside of teacher training since your 200-hour certification.
- Participate in all sessions at your level of ability.
- As far as physical asana is concerned, honor your own body’s limitations at all times.
- Respect your teachers and fellow classmates by paying courteous attention in class and attending all sessions on time.
- Take responsibility for your learning by asking for help when needed.
- Disclose any health concerns you have had in the past five years, either physical or mental.
- Abide by the policy of no smoking on the premises of Living Room Yoga.
- Abide by the policy of refraining from wearing perfumes during the teacher training.
Making up Missed Classes
- You may take the class during the next 500-hour teacher training at no additional cost to you. However, you run the risk that that program will not run the following year.
- You may set up a private appointment with the teacher to repeat the lecture for you at $75 per hour.
- You may attend a CEU class at Living Room Yoga (if it is offered) in the same category as the lecture you missed.